Saturday, January 10, 2015

Review: Unwritten by MC Decker


 
I thought it was too late. I thought our story had already been written.

College sophomore Brooke Anderson thought she had it all − a loving family, her sexy high school sweetheart, a supportive, quick-witted best friend and dreams of being the next hotshot reporter for the Washington Post.

Fate had something else in mind when Brooke collided with the devastatingly handsome upperclassman, Rich Davis. Rich was cocky, conceited and arrogant. He was everything that Brooke didn’t want, but Rich never gave her the option. He had already made the choice to be, at the very least, her friend. Would Brooke accept this egotistical man’s friendship? Would she choose to want more? Would it be too late if she did?

Fast forward nearly ten years. Brooke’s life hadn’t played out quite as she had envisioned it. She was suffering from the heartbreaking loss of her mother, her high school sweetheart was long gone, and her dreams of the Washington Post had turned into a career at a small town paper. Brooke decided it was time to follow her dreams. If she couldn’t be happy in love, at least she could be happy in life.

Brooke’s dreams brought her to the lobby of the Washington Post where fate intervened once again as she collided with none other than the devastatingly handsome Rich Davis. As her potential employer, Rich now seemed off-limits. Brooke wanted her successful career more than a chance at love. But, was it really her choice to make, or was it beyond her control?

Maybe our story is, in fact, Unwritten …
  
 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21847053-unwritten?from_search=true
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



When I was asked to read Unwritten for an honest review I was like sure… I love college romance stories and the whole coming of age thing so why not! MC Decker totally blew away my expectations and I found myself falling in love with Brook and Rich’s story. I was rooting for them to find their way and make things work. The road for love is not always an easy one and the road to self-discovery will have high and lows and everywhere in-between! So many times I found myself banging my head against the wall because Brooke can be frustrating! She’s stubborn and at times I did find myself wanting to slap her but in the end, I wouldn’t change a thing! I love stories that bring out those emotions in you and even if its frustration. I cannot wait to see what is in store from MC Decker and will be following her works as she totally sucked me in and didn’t let go into the very end! This is part of a series and does end in a cliff but for me…. I didn’t mind it. I felt like there was more to their story and I cannot wait to see what’s next!

The story starts with Brooke Anderson interviewing for her dream job. She has put her life on hold for so many years to help out others but after so many years she decides to tackle her dreams, a job with The Washington Post. She has dreamed about working there and the last person she expected to run into was the one person from her past. She is immediately thrown back to her college years and when she first met Rich Davis. He was the arrogant teacher’s pet and they were paired up to work on a project together. Everything about him bothered her. He was the perfect male specimen that was the overachiever. Being the same major they end up working together on the school newspaper and became good friends. Brooke was in love with her high school boyfriend who was at a different college and was attempting to make the long distance relationship work. Until it finally didn’t. Rich thought he could finally have a chance with Brooke but things never worked out. He said he would wait for her but life goes on and he didn’t…. Or so she thought…

Fast forward back to the present, Rich is offering Brooke an opportunity to work for the Post and to have to just spend one night with him. To see if the fireworks that were there years ago are still there. Brooke knows this is her one shot to prove she deserves a job at the prestigious Washington Post and does not want to blow it because of a college crush.


“This has always been my dream job and I can’t mess that up now for just one incredible night under the sheets with him. Or could I? Maybe we could just pretend to be strangers tonight… as Rich suggested. And tomorrow would be new day.”


Could they keep a professional working relationship after they do the deed?? They had off the chart chemistry ten years prior just being friends; would they be able to have just one night? Once they are together, would Brooke’s coworkers treat her different because she was with the boss? Brooke thinks she’s doing right by pushing Rich away and following her dream job. This is where my frustrations come in!! Rich… gah…. I just fell for him, hook line and sinker. I wanted for Brooke to just say YES and let fate take its course but sometimes our brain thinks it knows best and not the heart.


“I know I messed up, but there is no happily ever after for us. That shit just doesn’t exist in my world. I couldn’t let it.”


Unwritten is a great coming of age story that had me turning the pages of my kindle at lightning speed! It’s funny, has great dialogue, and at times made me want to yell and scream at my kindle. All the qualities I love in a book! I will just leave you with this quote that will have you swooning over Rich just like I did! 


“Meeting you that day by the elevator was fate. Becoming your friend was by choice which took a whole lot of work, might I add. But, falling in love with you was beyond my control, sweets.”




M.C. Decker is the author of the debut novel, Unwritten. She lives in a suburb of Flint, Michigan with her husband and spoiled-rotten Siamese cat, Simon. For the last decade, she has worked as a journalist for several community newspapers in Michigan's Thumb region. She enjoys all things '80s and '90s pop culture: movies, boy bands, music and especially the color, hot pink. She also strictly lives by the motto, "Life is better in flip flops," and is a diehard Detroit Tigers fan.